Using Photoline masks

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Using Photoline masks

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

OK a confession. :shock:
In all the years I've been editing images I've NEVER used masks. :shock: :shock: I was recently watching a YouTube video where the presenter, using Lightroom, used a mask. If I recall a 'linear gradient mask'. (Yes I may have that wrong). He performed 'magic'.

So I have two questions.

1 - Has Photoline the same feature as the so called 'linear gradient mask'?

2 - I want to learn about masks. (Yes old dog new tricks time). So please can someone point me to using masks tutorials using Photoline?

thanks

ps. It's not that I can't do what I want without masks, its just that I want to learn about them before I'm too old to know what I'm talking about!!!!
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Using Photoline masks

Beitrag von shijan »

"Classic" Masks engine and Brushes soft edges in PhotoLine work in 8-bit only even if applied in 16 or 32 bit document. So you may start from learning current limitations here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6776

However starting from 24.40b1 version it is now possible to use true 16-bit raster or vector mask as clipping layer and use Soften or Blur filter if required.

Simplest way to create clipping mask from layer was described in this small tutorial viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6443
Mouse Right-click on eye icon in Layer list to quick switch layer to Mask (Clip) mode and for many other useful options:
Next you can add clipping layer and image layer(s) inside group so mask will affect only bottom layers inside that group.
You can also add Clipping mask layer directly inside image layer or Adjustment layer.
Bild
Zuletzt geändert von shijan am Fr 10 Nov 2023 09:27, insgesamt 5-mal geändert.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Mask once was a word used for a lot of slightly different stuff...
Shijan shows the "layer mask".
Sometimes, that greyscale layer used for adjustment layers is also called a mask, and then there's the simple mask.
I guess Lightroom uses that simple mask, but I haven't seen your YT video.

There's a button for "edit mask". And there's the linear gradient.
Edit mask, make gradient, unpress that edit button.
Mask.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks guys. I guess I can learn the 'basics'. But is Photoline very 'advanced' in this regards? Or have editors such as Lighroom etc jumped way ahead?
Here's a quick very basic youtube example. https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... &FORM=VIRE Its not one I have watched before but without doing a full search it's the best I can come up with at the moment. sorry.

I gave up on film way back in 2000. Since then I have survived without masks so do I really need to use or learn them? I get the impression from many so called "experts" that not knowing how to use masks means you're not really serious. Thoughts? But I do like the 'learning', aspect.

Bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks guys. I guess I can learn the 'basics'. But is Photoline very 'advanced' in this regards? Or have editors such as Lighroom etc jumped way ahead?
Here's a quick very basic youtube example. https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... &FORM=VIRE Its not one I have watched before but without doing a full search it's the best I can come up with at the moment. sorry.

I gave up on film way back in 2000. Since then I have survived without masks so do I really need to use or learn them? I get the impression from many so called "experts" that not knowing how to use masks means you're not really serious. Thoughts? But I do like the 'learning', aspect.

Bruce
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

- In "Toolbox" click to "Gradient" and create black and white gradient vector layer.
- Switch layer to "Clip" mode
- In "Layer Attributes" switch it to "Luminance" mode.
- Open "Color Editor".
- Add more points if you want and switch to "Cubic Interpolation" to make it look smoother.
- To use onscreen controls for gradient direction switch to "Edit Vector Points" tool in Toolbox.

Your gradient mask is ready. Now you can add adjustment layers and group them with mask. Or add mask inside each adjustment layer.

Bild

Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Fr 10 Nov 2023 02:45 I want to learn about masks.
Hope this helps.

Quick selection tool to select bird

Inverted the selection

Added levels adjustment layer to darken all but bird

Added color balance adjustment layer to add a little blue
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Sa 11 Nov 2023 01:03 Thanks guys. I guess I can learn the 'basics'. But is Photoline very 'advanced' in this regards? Or have editors such as Lighroom etc jumped way ahead?
What I see in that video is the very basic masking stuff: Gradient, brush, eraser. A rather poor performance that leaves halos around the tree.
- Such a mask could be done with the oldest program that supports 8bit-masks and gradients, I guess your Atari will do.
- Also it's not destructive until you save, but that's also a technological feature available for at least 25 years.
- And it's most likely doing the calculations in more than 16 Bit, but that should be tested. Good support of 16/32 Bit was the killer feature of PL for a long time, but that has become more usual in the last years, others have caught up.

The 'advanced' thing is the simple user interface: Those 3 tools and lots of sliders for the typical adjustments. A single slider can hide a quite complex task. In PL you would use one (or more?) adjustments layers, and you have to select the right layer when using the brush. We should try to create an action and a layer stack that comes close.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Sa 11 Nov 2023 01:03I gave up on film way back in 2000. Since then I have survived without masks so do I really need to use or learn them? I get the impression from many so called "experts" that not knowing how to use masks means you're not really serious. Thoughts? But I do like the 'learning', aspect.
You can use this kind of mask for quick, destructive adjustments. Check the Batman button with the brush symbol, paint with black and white, use filters, uncheck the button and test what it does. It's an old method to mask things, all very basic and simple.But it's a good start, all you need for a mask is also needed for layer masks, cutouts and similar stuff.
Layer masks and adjustment layers are the next step.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks everyone. I've been too busy to reply or play with various techniques.

I know the link I gave wasn't the best. When I get time I'll post a better one that is more specific to my question.