Color management questions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bfilm
Mitglied

Color management questions

Beitrag von bfilm »

I am just beginning to explore PhotoLine and like it very much so far. I also really appreciate that it can be used through WINE on Linux. I am currently trying it through WINE on FreeBSD and the "PhotoLine without installer" runs well in 64-bit WINE.

I have some questions about how the color management works in PhotoLine. I am using the color management with Little CMS.

How are the settings chosen in Edit > Options... > Color Management related to the settings in Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile...?

For example, I have chosen Use Blackpoint Compensation in the Options, but it is not automatically selected in the Convert dialogue. In the Convert dialogue, I must choose it again if I want to use it. Are these two locations where it is possible to choose Use Blackpoint Compensation referring to different operations?

What color management operations use the Rendering intent chosen in Edit > Options... > Color Management?

What rendering intent is used when Automatic is chosen in Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile...?

Thank you.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Color management questions

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bfilm hat geschrieben: Fr 19 Jan 2024 07:17 How are the settings chosen in Edit > Options... > Color Management related to the settings in Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile...?
They are not related.
The profiles in "Edit > Options... > ColorManagement" are used when there is no profile available in certain situations.
Examples:
- If you load a RGB image without profile, PhotoLine uses the RGB profile set there (including the rendering intent)
- If you export a RGB document to PDF with PDF/X-1a, the conversion to CMYK will use the CMYK profile set there. It won't use the rendering intent from "Edit > Options... > ColorManagement", because the rendering intent is controlled by the source profile (in this example by the profile of the RGB document).

"Use Blackpoint Compensation" is used for all conversions except "Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile".
bfilm hat geschrieben: Fr 19 Jan 2024 07:17 What color management operations use the Rendering intent chosen in Edit > Options... > Color Management?
As written above: This rendering intent is used whenever one of these profiles is used as a source profile (again except "Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile")
bfilm hat geschrieben: Fr 19 Jan 2024 07:17 What rendering intent is used when Automatic is chosen in Tool > Color > Convert With Color Profile...?
"Automatic" uses the rendering intent of the source profile.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Here is some additional info if it helps. In PhotoLine in Document Mode you can set (assign) individual ICC profiles to Document, Layer and Group in Draw Isolated mode. In this non-destructive color management scenario Layer Color Space and Gamma will be transformed to Document Color Space and Gamma. If you put Adjustment inside Layer - it will work in Layer Color Space and Gamma. If you put Adjustment on top of Layer - it will work in Document Color Space and Gamma.
Same goes to bit depth. if you set Document to 32 bit, all adjustments will work in 32 bit, but source layer will remain in original 8 or 16 bit and it will be no increase in PLD file size.
Here is a chart i made long time ago here viewtopic.php?p=47003#p47003
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
bfilm
Mitglied

Beitrag von bfilm »

Thank you, Martin. This does help me to better understand how the color management is working.

Thanks for the chart, shijan. The Document Mode and desktop publishing capabilities of PhotoLine make it very capable and flexible, but also add some complexity.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

In "Picture Mode" ICC profile and bit depth defined by Background Layer. So Layers ICC profiles will be transformed non-destructively to Background Layer ICC profile.

By the way it is also possible to mix color models non-destructively in same way. For example create RGB to Lab transformation from Layer to Isolated Group, or from Layer to Document and apply some adjustments in RGB and same time other adjustments in Lab.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302