Off-screen windows in multi-monitor setup

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
kc123
Mitglied

Off-screen windows in multi-monitor setup

Beitrag von kc123 »

Hi, when I switch between multi-monitor setups (2 screen and 3 screen), often a window like the color picker will be displayed off-screen and I have not found a way to bring it back on-screen. When this happens, for example, when I double-click on the foreground color picker, Photoline becomes unresponsive (because the color picker is modal and not visible) and the only way out is to press the Esc key to close that invisible modal window.

Does anyone have any workaround for this?

I think Photoline should check if a window will be displayed off-screen and display it in the center of the primary screen instead.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Off-screen windows in multi-monitor setup

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

kc123 hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Dez 2023 07:26 Hi, when I switch between multi-monitor setups (2 screen and 3 screen),
How do you switch from 3 to 2 screens: by turning off the third one or by plugging it off?

If you just turn off the screen, both Windows and macOS still report the screen as active, so PhotoLine still thinks it is there.
kc123 hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Dez 2023 07:26 I think Photoline should check if a window will be displayed off-screen and display it in the center of the primary screen instead.
PhotoLine is repositioning windows that are off-screen when opening them.
kc123
Mitglied

Beitrag von kc123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Dez 2023 12:37 How do you switch from 3 to 2 screens: by turning off the third one or by plugging it off?

If you just turn off the screen, both Windows and macOS still report the screen as active, so PhotoLine still thinks it is there.
The monitors are connected to my laptop via a USB-C hub. My workplace hub is connected to 2 external monitors and my home hub is connected to 1 external monitor.

I do not think Windows reports the screen as active as the Display Settings only shows 1 external monitor when connected at home.
Also (I am not sure if this is related to the issue) in Display Settings the monitor positions are different. At my workplace, the external monitors are positioned to the left and right of the laptop monitor. At my home, the external monitor is positioned above my laptop monitor.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Dez 2023 12:37 PhotoLine is repositioning windows that are off-screen when opening them.
I do not know why I do not see the window then! Is there any way to confirm where the window is being repositioned?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

kc123 hat geschrieben: So 24 Dez 2023 11:29(...) At my home, the external monitor is positioned above my laptop monitor.
So your situation is the following: You have a laptop with an external screen and that external screen is turned on?
kc123 hat geschrieben: So 24 Dez 2023 11:29I do not know why I do not see the window then! Is there any way to confirm where the window is being repositioned?
If you don't see the panel, then it is obviously not repositioned. I don't understand that, though, because in our tests the panels are repositioned just fine.

Can you send use your PhotoLine.xml from "%appdata%/PhotoLine" or from your "PhotoLineSettings" folder (if you are using that) to support@pl32.com?
kc123
Mitglied

Beitrag von kc123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Mo 25 Dez 2023 10:07 So your situation is the following: You have a laptop with an external screen and that external screen is turned on?
Yes, in my workplace, the laptop has 2 external screens connected through a usb-C hub and the external screens are turned on. I then sleep the computer, disconnect from the hub, bring the laptop home, plug it into a usb-C hub with 1 external screen connected and resume from sleep.

I have done further testing and if I do not restart Photoline after resuming from sleep, the window is displayed off-screen and does not appear.
If I close Photoline and restart it, the window is now displayed on-screen (although not on the screen that Photoline is displayed on - this may be a result of the repositioning algorithm).

I guess the display extent detection is only upon startup of Photoline and not while it is running?