"Open Recent" file list suggestions

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
pixel8tor
Mitglied

"Open Recent" file list suggestions

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

I work on a lot of files that get moved from folder to folder during production. So a lot of the file names in the "Open Recent" list become invalid. And then if I select one of them, Phololine deletes the name from the list, which is OK, but there is no indication anything has happened. A little confusing at first - here are some ideas that might help.

Indicate, either with bold, color or strike-through(best) font, that the listed name isn't valid any more.

Add a "Clear Invalid File Names" command above the "Clear Menu" command. Which would delete all the file names that are no longer valid. Also it might be easier to understand if the "Clear Menu" command were named "Clear List".

And it would be great if it were possible to assign a shortcut key(Alt-O) to the "Open Recent" file list. Maybe pop up a window that lists *all* the saved "Open Recent" file names, including the ones that have been pushed off the list but are still saved - and show the full paths. That would be very useful.

Thanks again for all your great work, and take care.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: "Open Recent" file list suggestions

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

A tip or alternative workflow in regard to the Open Recent file menu list: I work with tons of files during the week as well and use the mini-browser panel instead of Open Recent to display the recent files.

Works best if you have more than one screen: I have it set up on my third screen (which is pivoted in portrait mode) and it displays all recent files with thumbnails as well. But even on a single screen the panel can be docked and collapsed when not needed: it will not take up much screen space in that case.

Other advantages:
- right-mouse clicking a file displays an option to open the folder where that file resides. I use that all the time.
- possible to load multiple recent files in one go
- apply actions to (multiple) files
- delete files
- drag and drop files into other files if needed
etc.

When a file is no longer available that file is automatically erased from the list - unlike the Open Recent file list, as you note. It can be confusing.

And I discovered a very interesting and useful behaviour of this panel: when I work with files on an external USB drive, and it is disconnected when I start PhotoLine, the recent files list does not display these files.

But the next time I connect the USB drive PhotoLine's mini-browser panel recent file list DOES include them. That is very handy and avoids confusion.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
pixel8tor
Mitglied

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'll try out the Browse function and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion. One plus about the "Open Recent" list is that it can contain files from various locations. Is there a way for the Browse thumbnail view window to show multiple folders contents all together? Also is there a way to include sub-folders contents? "Favorites" comes close, but you still need to select the different folders. Or am I missing something?

I still think the "Open Recent" function needs to be made more user friendly. One thing that really should be added is: when you try to open an invalid file, a "File not found" dialog should open with two options: remove file name from list or cancel. At least that way there's some feedback to the user about what's happened. Currently there is no feedback - very confusing.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

That "Open Recent" file thing probably is a part of OS Explorer/Finder system, so not too many things could be changed there. I agree with Herbert123, why don't use mini browser panel or normal "Browse" window where you can add favorite folders, ratings, see preview and useful metadata for all file types and so on? It is a great app.
All you need is to add Browse icon to toolbar and also setup Browse preferences depending of how you want to use it:
Bild
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

pixel8tor hat geschrieben: Mo 27 Nov 2023 04:23 Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'll try out the Browse function and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion. One plus about the "Open Recent" list is that it can contain files from various locations. Is there a way for the Browse thumbnail view window to show multiple folders contents all together? Also is there a way to include sub-folders contents? "Favorites" comes close, but you still need to select the different folders. Or am I missing something?
The mini browser's content can be set to "Recent Files". So it works the same as "Open Recent", but just much more flexible. And yes, it will then display files from various locations, of course.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
pixel8tor
Mitglied

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

Thanks guys for your suggestions. And Herbert123, I *did* completely miss seeing the "Recent Files" special folder. Thanks for pointing that out. That's awesome! But still it doesn't provide a way of dealing with the invalid names in the "Open Recent" menu list, it just ignores them. Or am I missing something else? If not, it would be nice to add, to the top menu area of the browse window, when looking at the "Recent Files" special folder, a check-box to display "Invalid Files", and a button to "Clear Invalid Files". But other than that, pretty nice.

+FYI: The recent file list is stored in "Photoline.xml" file, in the <Recent_File_List> section. Seems to store up to 50 entries, and displays only the number you configure in preferences(Options>Usage>Recent File List), up to 16. And there's a slight bug here - you can enter a number larger then 16 with no error. But if you return to that page later, the number has reset to 16. Not sure why the limit is set at 16 when up to 50 recent names are saved.
PPaul
Mitglied

Beitrag von PPaul »

On my Mac (I don't know if there is something like this on Windows) I can press Command and move the mouse to the lower right corner. Then there appear the last 30 opened documents from PL on the bottom of the monitor, in groups of 12. Shift scrolling will navigate through te documents. In other apps there will be only the actual opened docs.
Somehow PL does this much more intelligent.