Alert -- Major destructive bug found in Photoline(all versions) -- Alert

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
pixel8tor
Mitglied

Alert -- Major destructive bug found in Photoline(all versions) -- Alert

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

All Photoline users need to be aware of this.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7008
bkh
Betatester

Re: Alert -- Major destructive bug found in Photoline(all versions) -- Alert

Beitrag von bkh »

Imo, this is not a major bug. And it’s only truly destructive if you use destructive editing.

Btw., the bug is only visually noticeable if you work in 8 bit mode and use lots of adjustments. Otherwise, it wouldn’t have remained unnoticed – probably it’s been around quite some time. Just out of curiosity: how many past versions of PL have you checked?

If you are worried about such minor problems, I would recommend switching to 16 bit editing anyway – then you don’t have to worry about subtle mathematical inaccuracies which are difficult to avoid completely in 8 bit mode.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I am sure it will be fixed by the next beta release. :-)
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
pixel8tor
Mitglied

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

I've created a demo file that you can test with. It also includes a curves layer that makes it easier to see what's happening. It's at the bottom of this post.

First off, this bug doesn't appear in the 32bit version of Photoline. So it seems it might be a compiler issue that some of the math isn't being compiled as expected and is causing this error. Anyway I hope it's that simple. I know 64bit compilers can be very tricky to get all the switches right.

I disagree that "this is not a major bug". It's actually worse than I thought. If you look at the graphic below you'll see 2 red arrows on the curves area. They show how the line moves as more adjustments are added. So as well as the mid-point getting lighter and lighter, more and more of the highlight detail is being increased to 255 (lose of detail).

As for your snarky comment about "destructive editing", obviously we use image editors to adjust images in someway for output. If you never apply the adjustments, what's the point? And anyone who overwrites original files, either by accident or on purpose, needs to change their work habits. And "destructive editing" has nothing to do with it! It's destructive adjustments we're talking about.

So far these tools exhibit this bug:
Hue/Saturation
Hue Editor
Selective Color Correction
Channel Mixer
Optimize HDR
(possibly more)

I hope the Hubers don't view any of this as a criticism of their awesome software. I'm merely reporting a rather serious bug that needs fixing. Hopefully soon.

HueSatError.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Why double post bug report from Betatest topic to General Discussion? PhotoLine have a lot of bugs and they are instantly fixed. Just as example here is a list of bugs fixed based on my reports viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6987 In addition many other users report almost every few days or weeks. Guess developers have their own "internal" bug finds as well. It is all very important but there is nothing special in this bug to create ALERT :)
Also as it was discussed earlier, Hubers prefer to receive bug reports directly to their email instead of forum threads. Unfortunately there is no special bugtracker for PhotoLine bug reports and fixes.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

This bug is now squashed in the latest beta 24.40b7!

Thanks devs!
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
pixel8tor
Mitglied

Beitrag von pixel8tor »

Excellent! You devs are *so* good at swatting bugs. Thanks. :D