Copy all layers from below

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
lacogada
Mitglied

Copy all layers from below

Beitrag von lacogada »

How would I copy all layers and adjustment layers ... to one new layer that would be at top of stack.

In Photoshop it is Ctrl-Shft-Alt-E. Put all ajustments to new layer top of stack but does not flatten image.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Copy all layers from below

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I think Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+V comes closest. Beware if you have some Radeon software/driver, it has own shortcuts that have priority.

I use it mostly when I'm nearly done, to compress everything including vectors into one layer, add some last sharpening or color reduction or other stuff just before export.
But during work, moving everything into a placeholder might be a better solution.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Why don't select required layers and create a group?
Or you can drag Adjustment layers inside image layer.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 17 Nov 2023 09:15 I think Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+V comes closest. Beware if you have some Radeon software/driver, it has own shortcuts that have priority.

I use it mostly when I'm nearly done, to compress everything including vectors into one layer, add some last sharpening or color reduction or other stuff just before export.
But during work, moving everything into a placeholder might be a better solution.
That worked .... thank you.

I need to read more on placeholder's.
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

shijan hat geschrieben: Fr 17 Nov 2023 11:34 Why don't select required layers and create a group?
Or you can drag Adjustment layers inside image layer.
Thanks ... more things I can try.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

For those here unaware what CTRL-SHIFT-AL-E does in Photoshop: it creates a merged copy of the selected layers.

Hoogo's answer will work, as will CTRL-J, CTRL-SHIFT-R (which is duplicate layer followed by a merge layers action).

To keep a live non-destructive link to the original layers, group the layers (CTRL-SHIFT-INSERT), then duplicate the group virtually. I assigned CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-J in the keyboard shortcuts to the Duplicate Layer Virtually function to make this work.

The advantage being that when changes are made to the original layer and adjustment layers the virtual layer will update. The drawback is that the virtual copy's pixels cannot be edited directly, of course, or at least not without changing the original. Sometimes we just need a static new bitmap layer. Sometimes we do not. Depends on the context.

(note: if these layers are the only ones in the layer stack, it will convert your document intent from Picture mode to Document mode. Usually this will not affect the overall workflow, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind.)

It would be nice if the PhotoLine devs would add that CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-J keyboard shortcut as a standard one, because it is something that (I at least) use all the time. I use virtual layers everywhere in my comps!

There is unfortunately no 1-step function like the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-E option in Photoshop. But if required, set up an action and assign a shortcut key to that action.

EDIT Thinking about it more, I changed my shortcut setup to ALT-J for duplicating layers virtually. Makes no sense to me that Layer JPEG compression uses that one, while virtually duplicating layers lacks a standard keyboard shortcut!!!
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

lacogada hat geschrieben: Fr 17 Nov 2023 14:14
Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 17 Nov 2023 09:15 I think Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+V comes closest. Beware if you have some Radeon software/driver, it has own shortcuts that have priority.

That worked .... thank you.

I need to read more on placeholder's.
Placeholders in PhotoLine are pretty much identical to Photoshop's Smart Objects.

But often it is actually preferable to use PhotoLine's Virtual Layers instead, because these share many of Smart Objects characteristics without their disadvantages:
[1] virtual layers update in realtime when the source layer(s) are edited
[2] no need to open a second window or file to edit the contents unlike Smart Objects or Placeholders.
[3] virtual layers can be easily duplicated and reused anywhere in the layer stack, such as for layer masks. (which also works for Placeholder layers, but see [1] and [2] why this is not always the preferred approach)

One of the main advantages of Smart Objects / Placeholder layers over Virtual layers: many filters/plugin effects work non-destructively with those. And with complex comps involving many layers, adjustments and effects the file may start to slow down PhotoLine or Photoshop, and it will become necessary to convert parts of your work into Placeholder layers/Smart Objects to maintain a steady editing performance !
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Herbert123

Thanks for all the information.