Problem with Text Run on Path with .SVG

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
maho
Mitglied

Problem with Text Run on Path with .SVG

Beitrag von maho »

Greetings PhotoLiners,

I noticed this problem with Text Run on Path: when the image is saved as a .SVG file, the orientation of the letters changes from following the curvature of the path (the default behavior) to a horizontal orientation. For example, look at this PLD file:
photolinetest.pld
then look at it saved as a .SVG file:
photolinetest.svg
For a comparison, this .SVG file:
inkscapetest.svg
created in Inkscape is fine when viewed in Inkscape - but the text does not appear at all in PhotoLine.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Problem with Text Run on Path with .SVG

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

maho hat geschrieben: Do 16 Nov 2023 14:47 I noticed this problem with Text Run on Path: when the image is saved as a .SVG file, the orientation of the letters changes from following the curvature of the path (the default behavior) to a horizontal orientation. For example, look at this PLD file: photolinetest.pldthen look at it saved as a .SVG file: photolinetest.svg

For a comparison, this .SVG file: inkscapetest.svg created in Inkscape is fine when viewed in Inkscape - but the text does not appear at all in PhotoLine.
IMO SVG is a file format mostly used for web pages and app icons.

Your photolinetest.svg displays correctly in the 4 most used web browsers.
Your inkscapetest.svg doesn't display correctly here in my Chrome. The text is not visible.

Regarding the import of SVGs in PhotoLine: PhotoLine tries its best to import SVGs correctly, and we will continue to improve the import. But it can't import all SVGs correctly, partly because of incompatibilities of how features work in SVG and in PhotoLine, partly because of the plethora of options each of the SVG commands offers. However, this also applies to all web browsers. None of them can display every SVG correctly and displaying is easier than creating an editable document.

I will check the import of inkscapetest.svg in PhotoLine.
maho
Mitglied

Beitrag von maho »

Thanks for your help, Martin. I understand the problem of slight incompatibilities between different programs and how they handle different formats.

FYI, I am using the image for a Laser cutter - .SVG is the only format that it uses.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Text objects should in principle always be converted to outlines before export to any other software - not only for SVG, but also for any other vector file format.

I tested the inkscapetest.svg file, and while PhotoLine imports the text, it shifts it to the right.

I opened it in Inkscape, converted the text object to outlines, and PhotoLine had no issues. Text in SVG is always somewhat of a challenge to keep intact across different design applications.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

maho hat geschrieben: Sa 18 Nov 2023 04:37 FYI, I am using the image for a Laser cutter - .SVG is the only format that it uses.
I would definitely convert the texts to vector for the laser cutter.