About Linked Layers and Layer Compositions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
csanchez
Mitglied

About Linked Layers and Layer Compositions

Beitrag von csanchez »

This is a cool and easy effect to achieve in PhotoLine, however from what I see PhotoLine does not have that option of "Linked Layers" of PhotoShop.
How to Link Layers in Photoshop

It would be good the to have the "linked layers" option available in some future version.

How can two layers be "linked" in PhotoLine currently?
To have two or more related layers that maintain their properties/position and have layers in between that are not related.
The only way I could think of was to do the same thing and select the two text layers to move first, but it's not ideal if there start to be more layers in between.

Also, what ways would you do to achieve the same effect?
It would be interesting to see other techniques :)

Testing the new function of "Layer Compositions" I wanted to save two compositions, one with colored text and another with white text.
However, from what I saw, the color of the text layers is not preserved in the composition layers.
In the PhotoLine 24 release notes it says that the text styles are preserved, the color is not part of it?

Bild
Bild

Here I leave the document of the image in case you want to use it also for any sample
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vqtv2to9 ... l.pld/file
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: About Linked Layers and Layer Compositions

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

csanchez hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 03:36 Testing the new function of "Layer Compositions" I wanted to save two compositions, one with colored text and another with white text.
However, from what I saw, the color of the text layers is not preserved in the composition layers.
In the PhotoLine 24 release notes it says that the text styles are preserved, the color is not part of it
"Text Styles" are what you see with "View > Panels > Text Styles".

Layer Compositions do not save the content of layers.
So if you want to change the color of the text by choosing a different layer composition, you either have to create a Text Style or you you have to use a color contained in the Document Color List ("View > Lists > Document Color List").

Martin
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

csanchez hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 03:36 This is a cool and easy effect to achieve in PhotoLine, however from what I see PhotoLine does not have that option of "Linked Layers" of PhotoShop.
How to Link Layers in Photoshop

It would be good the to have the "linked layers" option available in some future version.

How can two layers be "linked" in PhotoLine currently?
To have two or more related layers that maintain their properties/position and have layers in between that are not related.
The only way I could think of was to do the same thing and select the two text layers to move first, but it's not ideal if there start to be more layers in between.

Also, what ways would you do to achieve the same effect?
It would be interesting to see other techniques :)
Just use virtual copies. You can create virtual copy of single adjustment layer like this:
Bild

Or create virtual copy of group of adjustment layers. To apply adjustment effect only inside group you need to turn on "Draw isolated" in Layer Group Attributes.
BildBild

:arrow: P.S. To developers: It could be way simpler if PhotoLine allow us to put group with Adjustment Layers or virtual copy of a group directly inside layer. So it could work as single adjustment layer without adding secondary isolated group.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
csanchez
Mitglied

Beitrag von csanchez »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: "Text Styles" are what you see with "View > Panels > Text Styles".
Ahh, hehe I see, thanks! :D
shijan hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 11:32 Just use virtual copies.
Or create virtual copy of group of adjustment layers. To apply adjustment effect only inside group you need to turn on "Draw isolated" in Layer Group Attributes.
Oh, I hadn't seen the virtual copies option, they're great, but they're not exactly the same as "linked layers".

You see, the idea with linked layers is that you can move all the linked layers at the same time by selecting a single one, ignoring all the layers that are in between but are not linked.

So far the only way to do it with PhotoLine that I saw was to select both text layers first and then move them.
But that, in this case, is just a text layer below a drawing, and a copy of it above the drawing.

Text using only line color
character image
Text with color
background image

Something that occurred to me to try was to group the texts and the image together, then make block the image completely (selecting, position, content)
However, the same when selecting the grouped layer moves everything :lol:

I still don't quite understand the Text Styles, are the styles individual by layer? can i set multiple styles and then create it so that it preserves the style of all the text layers?

In this case I first have the colored text, then I want a white version of the text.
However, as I said before, there are two layers, one with only fill color (bottom layer) and one with only line color (top layer).

Well, I think I'm taking too long, so I'll leave it here, I hope I have explained myself well haha
and a video of what i tried with the styling layers
https://youtu.be/SUq0YVrkVKI
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Ok,i got it. Guess there is no way to link layers like this to move them all together. If it helps i can join to your request and ask developers to add tiny status bar icon to link selected layers.
Here is another idea. Lock layer movement and select all. Now if you move all layers, locked layer will stay in place.
In addition you can organize layers in in Groups, so if you use "select all" command inside group - only layers inside group will be selected.
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

csanchez hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 15:39 I still don't quite understand the Text Styles, are the styles individual by layer? can i set multiple styles and then create it so that it preserves the style of all the text layers?

In this case I first have the colored text, then I want a white version of the text.
However, as I said before, there are two layers, one with only fill color (bottom layer) and one with only line color (top layer).
Text Styles panel is just a presets specially for text settings used in Text Tool Settings. So you create text with some parameters and then create new style preset. Next you can apply this preset to any other text layer.
Bild
csanchez
Mitglied

Beitrag von csanchez »

shijan hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 16:46Text Styles panel is just a presets specially for text settings used in Text Tool Settings. So you create text with some parameters and then create new style preset. Next you can apply this preset to any other text layer.
Ahhh, hahahaya I see, it makes sense.
shijan hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 16:46Ok,i got it. Guess there is no way to link layers like this to move them all together. If it helps i can join to your request and ask developers to add tiny status bar icon to link selected layers.
Yes please. I still think that it is a useful option and since it is a Photoshop function, it is normal that when opening PSD files that use it, part of the format in which the original document is made is lost, that is, to also improve PSD support :)
shijan hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 16:46Here is another idea. Lock layer movement and select all. Now if you move all layers, locked layer will stay in place.
Hahaha I didn't think about it, it's a simple and effective way too.

Really thank you very much for all the help Shijan, you are great :D