Need macOS users feeback to reproduce a bug.

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
shijan
Mitglied

Need macOS users feeback to reproduce a bug.

Beitrag von shijan »

So i find a bug some time ado, but Martin Huber can't reproduce the problem on his system and so can't find a way how to fix it. So maybe someone else could test it on other macOS version and confirm or deny if this bug really exists?

BUG: In PhotoLine macOS version at some dpi and size settings Layer changes size when Copy/Pasted form one Document to similar sized another document.

Here is how to reproduce problem manually:
- Create two new images exactly 6246x4170 px 72 dpi.
- In Document Attributes switch both to Document Mode.
- Copy/Paste layer from one document to another.
- Problem: pasted layer changes its size and dpi.

Here is my screen recording example from macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
Also here is macOS automation script provided by Martin Huber. To run this script just start PhotoLine and double-click the script in Finder. "Script Editor" (an Apple application) should open which has a play button.

Bild
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Re: Need macOS users feeback to reproduce a bug.

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

Nope, identical size, dpi and bit depth. macOS Catalina. PL 24.0.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

This also happens if i drag and drop layer from one document to another. But in this scenario it changes to different size compare to copy/paste problem.

Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

You may also try to experiment with Documents dpi resolution to reproduce bug. For example at some size and 72 dpi it could be no problem, but if i change both documents resolution to 71 dpi, i can see a problem.
Also sometimes when i see a problem during drag and drop, i can not see a problem during copy/paste. So in most cases drag and drop currently the best way to reproduce this bug.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

shijan hat geschrieben: Sa 15 Jul 2023 09:23 This also happens if i drag and drop layer from one document to another. But in this scenario it changes to different size compare to copy/paste problem.
I tried that with the documents created by the CopyPasteTest script and can't reproduce the problem.

Please keep in mind: When pasting/dropping in document mode PhotoLine tries to keep the physical size of the inserted image. So when you drop an image with a size of 1 cm x 1 cm, it usually is inserted with 1 cm x 1 cm. However, this may result in the pasted image having a different scaling, but the same dpi.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Try to change documents to more different dpi setting, maybe you got luck with some random number. Maybe it is somehow linked to real monitor resolution, so my test on real 1920x1080 screen is not the same as on yours 3840х2160 @2x downscaled screen size.

In all my tests both documents use same size and same dpi, so there is no any logic why layer scales during copy/paste or drag and drop.

I have no copy/paste or drag and drop problem in Windows version.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

I can reproduce the problem using the script (Mac OS 13.4.1 (c), PL 24.00 or PL 23.90B12).

Original layer
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 11.38.42.png
copied with Copy/Paste: dpi changes to 73, different scaling in x and y direction
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 11.38.12.png

copied with Drag & Drop: Dragging and dropping seems to use the screen resolution in Settings → Display → Screen resollution, if I change the value there, the scaling also changes.
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 11.38.57.png
Cheers

Burkhard
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

bkh hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 11:56 I can reproduce the problem using the script (Mac OS 13.4.1 (c), PL 24.00 or PL 23.90B12).
Same OS and same PL version here, but it doesn't happen. I also tried it with a cleared preferences folder.
bkh hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 11:56 copied with Drag & Drop: Dragging and dropping seems to use the screen resolution in Settings → Display → Screen resollution, if I change the value there, the scaling also changes.
This one is reproducible. I will fix that.

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Mo 24 Jul 2023 13:53
bkh hat geschrieben: So 23 Jul 2023 11:56 I can reproduce the problem using the script (Mac OS 13.4.1 (c), PL 24.00 or PL 23.90B12).
Same OS and same PL version here, but it doesn't happen. I also tried it with a cleared preferences folder.
I also tried it with an empty PhotoLineSettings folder. Same result. This is very strange. Looks like some kind of rounding error … 98,6 % ≈ 72/73. Maybe because of a retina display (my screen size is 4096 x 2304). I might try another computer with an ordinary screen later.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

bkh hat geschrieben: Di 25 Jul 2023 12:32Looks like some kind of rounding error … 98,6 % ≈ 72/73.
That's the way it should be. The dpi shown in the LayerAttributes are the dpi of the placed image. Changing the scaling of the layer changes the dpi shown in Layer Attributes.
bkh hat geschrieben: Di 25 Jul 2023 12:32Maybe because of a retina display (my screen size is 4096 x 2304). I might try another computer with an ordinary screen later.
I have an ordinary 4K screen, but switched its resolution to 4096x2304 for testing reasons. Still no error.

I checked the source code and found no place that is affected by OS or screen size (at least if you start PhotoLine with an empty preferences folder).

I also had the theory that the problem only happens on Intel processors, but der_fotograf couldn't reproduce the problem and he uses Catalina which only runs on Intel.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Seems drag and drop + monitor dpi bug was fixed in 24.40b2, but unfortunately it didn't fix global problem. Drag and drop now changes layer size exactly in same way as copy/paste (scaling on side to 98.6% and 73 dpi)