PhotoLine is a versatile all-purpose image and graphics editor. You can edit images or optimize them for the web, but you can also prepare print-ready PDF data.
PhotoLine offers the creative professional sophisticated tools: CMYK and Lab color space, color management with ICC profiles, adjustment layers, recording actions and 16/32-bit color depth per channel. Vector graphics can be edited as well as PDF files.
The most important new features of this release are:
- Path groups: Vector operations like Union are no longer permanent, but the involved layers can be edited afterwards.
- Vibrance filter: The Vibrance filter offers better control options for correcting the saturation of images.
And of course there are numerous small enhancements and performance improvements.
Graphics and Layout Improvements
Transform Vector Points
With the new Transform Vector Points tool, the selected points of a vector layer can be transformed using a selection frame just like a layer.
When you apply operations such as union or difference on vector layers, the operations are no longer performed directly, but a path group is created.
A path group is a mixture of a group and a vector layer. It contains all the vector layers involved, but it can also be assigned a fill color and an outline style.
The vector layers in the group can be edited later, and the result of the vector operation adjusts automatically.
You can also drag additional vector layers into the path group and assign an operation to them using the layer list.
The following example shows a path group with two circles and a rectangle in between. The left circle and the rectangle were unified and the right circle was subtracted from the result. The original vector layers are drawn weakly, the result strong:
Editable Vector Patterns
In the color editor, all colors that occur in a vector pattern can now be changed directly. This way, for example, a simple checkerboard pattern quickly becomes a diamond pattern:
Table Of Contents
A table of contents can now be created for documents. The table of contents is based on the text styles used in your document.
(in the menu under "Layout > Text > Table Of Contents")
To make pixel-precise working easier, a pixel grid can be displayed.
Furthermore, automatic alignment to the pixel grid is possible. This ensures that layers always remain perfectly aligned when moved and scaled.
(in the menu under "View > Alignment Helpers > Show Pixel Grid" and "View > Alignment Helpers > Use Pixel Grid")
Layers now have a channel mask that controls which color channels are changed by the layer. This allows you to set, for example, that a layer only changes the red and green channels, but not the blue channel. Transparency can also be controlled.
(in the Layer Attributes dialog under "Channels")
Vector Tool Improvements
- Curve Creation and Edit Vector Points Automatic guides are optionally generated for the active path.
- Edit Vector Points Curve auxiliary points are now optionally aligned with other curve auxiliary points.
- Edit Vector Points If several path points are selected, changes to one curve auxiliary point are synchronously applied to all other auxiliary points.
Image Processing Improvements
The Vibrance filter changes the saturation of an image. There are two possible settings. The Saturation setting works as known from other functions. The Vibrance setting, on the other hand, has a stronger effect on less saturated colors and a weaker effect on skin tones. As a result, images remain more natural after an application.
(in the menu under "Tool > Color > Vibrance“)
In previous PhotoLine versions, only a single color or gradient could be assigned to a gray image in the Layer Attributes dialog.
Now several process and spot colors are possible and each of the colors can have a tone curve. This allows multichannel images to be created.
You can also manage and assign presets via the context menu.
(in the Layer Attributes dialog under "Color", only with 8 bit gray images)
- Preset for embedding In the Layer Attributes you can now set for empty placeholders whether newly assigned data should be embedded or a file reference should be saved. This improves the creation of templates for calendars, ...
- Conversion between embedded and file placeholders A context menu for quickly embedding file placeholders and/or replacing embedded placeholders with a file reference has been added to the Layer Attributes.
- Tool > Color > Color Lookup HaldCLUTs are 3D color table represented by a TIFF or PNG image. Many HaldCLUTs can be found on the Internet for a wide range of applications. These can now also be used in PhotoLine.
- Filter > Quality > Optimize Contrast Optimize Contrast can now optionally optimize the contrast of an image based on the selected area.
- Flood Fill tool The flood fill tool now optionally creates a vector layer.
- Remove Object tool The optional source area can now be changed more easily.
- Color Picker The color picker now supports more and especially larger readout areas.
- Copy/paste of adjustment layers If an adjustment layer that has the size of the document is copied, it will also be pasted in document size into another document.
- Hue/Saturation Modified color ranges are marked with a "*". This makes subsequent editing easier.
- Lens Correction When correcting the perspective, a help grid can be displayed in the dialog preview.
- Lens Correction When lens distortion and perspective are corrected at the same time, the preview is now calculated faster.
- Plug-ins The plug-in interface was extended and improved.
- Menu icons The display of the icons in the main menu can be turned on and off (in the settings under "Display > Interface").
- Scroll bars in document windows The scroll bars in document windows can be switched off (in the settings under "Display > Interface").
- Retina resolution On macOS it is possible to switch off utilizing retina resolution for document windows. With image processing the differences are hardly visible, but without retina resolution the screen output is much faster (in the settings under "Display > Document").
- Matrix mode The page previews are now optionally displayed in a matrix. This optimizes the use of space and the presentation is clearer.
- Direct deleting Pages can now be deleted directly in the Page List with the delete key.
Document Attributes Dialog
Documents now have their own antialiasing setting. This makes it easy to change the antialiasing and image interpolation in a document.
File Imports And Exports
- Raw import The raw import has been changed to LibRaw and therefore now supports newer raw formats. In addition, the raw import allows the operating system to load the image for non-supported formats.
- PSD import The PSD import can now load vector layer masks.
- JPEG export The JPEG export can now saves images with several vector paths.
- PDF import and export Multichannel images (DeviceN) are now fully supported.
- JPEG2000 import and export JPEG200 can now load and save Lab images.
- Layer Attributes dialog and scaling The scaling of layers in the Layer Attributes dialog now optionally works relative to the pivot point.
- Layer tool When scaling layers, the difference to the original size is now displayed in addition to the new size. The same is true for the angle when rotating.
- Angle text fields Angle text fields can be switched between clockwise and counterclockwise display.
- Layer List Groups can be opened completely, i.e. including the groups in the group, by Alt+clicking on the pop-up arrow.
- Text formatting Text formatting such as bold, italics etc. can now be assigned a shortcut key (in the settings under "Usage > Keyboard layout > Text").
- Rotate View In addition to the Rotate View tool, the view of the document can also be rotated with Alt+mouse wheel and Alt+rotate gesture. On Windows, the rotate gesture only works if the touchpad supports it properly.
- Rotate View Pressing Esc resets the view to 0°.