Clipping layer question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
lacogada
Mitglied

Clipping layer question

Beitrag von lacogada »

I realize I can put my headstock image below the frame.

Trying to understand how clipping layer works in PL.

In PS I would just clip the headstock image and it would appear to fall below the frame layer, filling the transparency.

Tried Layer-Clipping layer in PL ... but it does not work the same.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Clipping layer question

Beitrag von Hoogo »

For this purpose:
- use the rectangle/sqare tool to create a rectangle on top
- "layer > Layer mask > convert for previous"
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Di 02 Aug 2022 13:57 For this purpose:
- use the rectangle/sqare tool to create a rectangle on top
- "layer > Layer mask > convert for previous"
Thanks ... that worked.

Does not seem like such an accurate way of creating the clip ... or am I missing something ?
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I don't really know what "...clip the headstock image and it would appear to fall below the frame layer..." means, I haven't seen PS for 10 years or so. Is there some youtube or other link that explains this some more? I believe I have an idea what you're trying to do... Keep pixels from below, and fill transparency from below??

Try to keep the "real world order" as much as possible! The frame is in front of the picture, not the picture in front of the frame! That way you completely avoid your problem, and I'm not sure if it could ever appear in other situations.

--------------------
So what the rectangle did: Have a copy of the transparency of the frame to the picture layer. In real life this would be a bad idea (see above), but it's for testing anyways.

Check this layer mask in the layer list. There should be some icons there at the right that tell you that you cannot select or move this layer. When you click these icons, you can enable selecting and moving again. Then it behaves like all layers do, and you can use the layer tool to grab the handles an correct its size.

I was using the rectangle tool because your picture frame is most likely rectangular. Use "Layer > layer maks > create" for a normal pixel layer to paint in black and white.
Or use "...create from Alpha" on the background layer and move the mask to the other layer.

--------------------
"layer mask" belongs to another layer and clips that one.
"clipping layer" clips all other layers in the same group.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Di 02 Aug 2022 15:20
Check this layer mask in the layer list. There should be some icons there at the right that tell you that you cannot select or move this layer. When you click these icons, you can enable selecting and moving again. Then it behaves like all layers do, and you can use the layer tool to grab the handles an correct its size.
Thank you for the info ... the tip about that little icon on the layer will surely help.

I did not provide a good example above.

Will try to send better example from within PS.
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Maybe this example from PS will be better.
PS_notclipped.jpg
PS_clipped.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

lacogada, i also can't understand your question :) There are many different ways and different tools in PhotoLine that can create clipping mask layer. Some tools use uber complex chains of actions. In addition historically it is all mixed with Lasso/Selection/Mask/Clipping definitions which are formally variations of the same global thing. Personally i don't like waste memory storage in my head to remember them all because In the end it is always just a image (or vector or text) layer switched to "clipping mask" mode where black and white colors define transparency.

So i can recommend the simplest way to create clipping mask as described here https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6443

Mouse Right-click on eye icon in Layer list to quick switch layer to Mask (Clip) mode.
If you want to apply mask to single layer, just add layer and mask to group. Or drag mask inside layer.
Additional clipping mask options (Invert, sort edge and others) available in Layer Attributes.
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

lacogada hat geschrieben: Di 02 Aug 2022 17:39 Maybe this example from PS will be better.

PS_notclipped.jpg

PS_clipped.jpg
It's an adjustment layer that turns everything below blue? And after clipping, it only applies directly to the layer below?
I think a child layer comes close to that:
In the layer list, drag the adjustment layer to the layer below and drop it. It turns into a child layer
Child layer.png
----------------
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

shijan hat geschrieben: Di 02 Aug 2022 17:43 Mouse Right-click on eye icon in Layer list to quick switch layer to Mask (Clip) mode.
If you want to apply mask to single layer, just add layer and mask to group. Or drag mask inside layer.
Additional clipping mask options (Invert, sort edge and others) available in Layer Attributes.
[/img]
Thank you ... that worked and accomplished the same as my 2nd example, though the layer order had to be reversed.
Zuletzt geändert von lacogada am Di 02 Aug 2022 21:03, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Di 02 Aug 2022 18:46 I think a child layer comes close to that:
In the layer list, drag the adjustment layer to the layer below and drop it. It turns into a child layer
Child layer.png
Thanks for the reply and the time putting your example together.

.... but that did not work for me.

Could not drop layer onto another, would get a circle with line through it ... guess that icon is saying " can't do that "
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

DragDrop.png
It works for adjustment layers, and it works for layer masks.
With Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V within a text you can also turn vector or pixel layers into a child for a text layer, but that's a different topic.
And if you cheat a little by temporarily turning a layer into a layer mask, it works for even more.

Your Blue Clipped / NOT Clipped layer looks like an adjustment layer to me, because of that symbol. But maybe it's something else?
----------------
lacogada
Mitglied

Beitrag von lacogada »

Yes ... it was an adjustment layer and I had deleted the mask.

Thanks