Export question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Export question

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I noticed that the Export dialog box contains a Save Options button. If I click on this button I get another dialog box that seems to allow me to choose the default option for saving. Since I want the default to be tif, and not PLD, I set the tif default settings, then clicked on Save Options and selected Tif Image from the Default Save Format dropbox. I then clicked OK and expected that the next time I did an export I would get tif as the default, but that did not happen. I again got PLD as the default save option.

So, two questions. 1) Is there any way to actually set the default save option to tif so that the dialog box opens with tif as the default format? If so, how? And 2), if not, what is the purpose of the Save Options and Default Save Format selection?

Thank you.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Export question

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Do 12 Okt 2017 01:43 I noticed that the Export dialog box contains a Save Options button. If I click on this button I get another dialog box that seems to allow me to choose the default option for saving.
No, the "Options" button just gives you access to options, that are not embedded in the Save panel.
Furthermore it allows you to modify the predefined settings of the file formats which will be used on saving (and which are the ones that are shown in the save dialog).
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Do 12 Okt 2017 01:43Since I want the default to be tif, and not PLD, I set the tif default settings, then clicked on Save Options and selected Tif Image from the Default Save Format dropbox. I then clicked OK and expected that the next time I did an export I would get tif as the default, but that did not happen. I again got PLD as the default save option.
In order to change the default format, you have to export using this format. This can be accomplished by either typing a name with the format extender (e.g. "test.tif") or by changing the format popup to that format in the export panel.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

OK. Thank you. I guess I misunderstood what the options were meant to be for.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

A really nice workflow option in PhotoLine is to turn on the "Save a PLD file Additionally" found in the Save Options (Preferences). Assign PhotoLine as the default TIFF editor in your OS, and next time you save, the TIFF file will be saved, as well as a PLD 'sidecar' file. Double-click the TIFF opens the PLD layered file, and saving saves the TIFF (and an updated PLD file).

Super duper handy.

Also, in the save options the default save format can be set to TIFF, if you like. But I find the sidecar PLD file workflow much superior and convenient.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Do 12 Okt 2017 01:43 1) Is there any way to actually set the default save option to tif so that the dialog box opens with tif as the default format? If so, how?
It's the default format for "Save As …" (or "Save", if you create a new document).

Might be a good idea to add a default "Export" format (with options similar to the defalt "Save" format), or at least to remember the last export format (as in the web export dialogue). "PLD" as the default option doesn't make much sense, imo.

Like Herbert123, I also use the "Save as PLD additionally" option. In this way, I get a standard output format retain the PL layer structure. Works really well, and you don't have to remember to export your file.

Cheers

Burkhard.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Fr 13 Okt 2017 01:09 Also, in the save options the default save format can be set to TIFF, if you like.
But doing so does not mean that if you preform a Save you automatically get a tif file. Regardless of the setting for the Default Save Format you get a PLD by default. That was the point of my original post.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bkh hat geschrieben: Fr 13 Okt 2017 12:39 It's the default format for "Save As …" (or "Save", if you create a new document).
Ah. I did not see that as I had been using the Export functionality instead. That is a big help. Thank you.
bkh hat geschrieben: Fr 13 Okt 2017 12:39 Might be a good idea to add a default "Export" format (with options similar to the defalt "Save" format), or at least to remember the last export format (as in the web export dialogue). "PLD" as the default option doesn't make much sense, imo.

Like Herbert123, I also use the "Save as PLD additionally" option. In this way, I get a standard output format retain the PL layer structure. Works really well, and you don't have to remember to export your file.
I will give that a try and see how it works out. While having the pld file is probably helpful so as to have the layers available, my normal use of PL is as an external pixel editor for a separate workflow tool so I am not sure how much having the pld file will be. Still, I will find out.
csanchez
Mitglied

Beitrag von csanchez »

I am looking for exactly this option, at the moment PL saves by default exports in PDF, I want to change it to another format like JPG.

Although the "Default Save Format" + "Save a PLD file additionally" options are good to have, I would like to have a "Default Export Format" option too, as I usually save the file in PLD by default so I can always edit and use export for the final image instead of "Save as...".
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

"Default Export Format" in preferences sounds like nice idea.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Antworten