How to move what has been lasso selected?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: How to move what has been lasso selected?

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I agree. And I work as a UX designer as well.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: It is also the reason I use specialized pixel editors for this type of work.
That really sounds like the best solution for your needs. I have no problem with using dedicated vector programs for their specialized features, for example, and the same is the case for specialized pixel editing needs.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:However, I am still convinced the selection tool ought to allow for direct pixel manipulation somehow.
Out of curiosity, what happens in those other apps when you directly move those selected areas? As I recall, it leaves a hole....
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

The feature you're missing was dropped with V16.10
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Yes, it does leave a hole when the selection is completely moved to a different spot. WIth transparent files, and distinct areas which are separated from each-other, this is generally not an issue. Just think of an icon file, with different sizes: now suppose I would like to re-position each icon a bit. Select, move, done. No need for layers in this case.

Or imagine this situation: extending a row or column of pixels. This can be truly useful for GUI and screen design work. Select, grab one of the sides of the selected area, and extend it into the direction you wish. Done. Again, much faster than being forced to first create layers, and merging those layers down.

There are many other instances where direct pixel manipulation is just many times faster in regards to workflow than a layer based one. It is often very handy for smaller adjustments.

And yes, I agree with you that a specialized pixel editor is the best way to go for pixel art and retro game design. I would never expect (or want) Photoline to change itself into such a tool, not could it ever hope to compete with those type of tools in the first place.

It is just that a simple option to change the behaviour of the selection/lasso tool to direct pixel manipulation for a while, would be extremely useful for those simpler pixel adjustments. A layer based workflow just gets in the way of an optimized workflow in those cases. A simple checkbox in the selection tool properties plus shortcut key option would go a long way. And it wouldn't hurt anyone - merely extend Photoline with a very useful workflow option which many of us are accustomed in seeing available in any image editor.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:The feature you're missing was dropped with V16.10
Ah, makes sense I missed that: I started with version 17.
kevjon
Mitglied

Beitrag von kevjon »

This is a interesting thread.

All this cutting and pasting layers and merging them again just to move some pixels around is too much work.

+1 to have an option to lasso select some pixels and move them without the whole layer moving.

I have a lot of rasterized letters and numbers on a transparent layers that I want to move around to create an image. I have to select them copy, paste to new layer, move & then merge layer down. Far more work than just a simple select and move especially when you have lots of pixels to tweak and move.
Zuletzt geändert von kevjon am Do 01 Okt 2015 09:45, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
erikals
Mitglied

Beitrag von erikals »

PL
yep, PhotoLine ain't a pixelator's best friend... unfortunately.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

kevjon hat geschrieben:This is a interesting thread.

All this cutting and pasting layers and merging them again just to move some pixels around is too much work.

+1 to have an option to lasso select some pixels and move them without the whole layer moving.

I have pixels on a transparent layers that I want to move. I have to select them copy, paste to new layer, move & then merge layer down. Far more work than just a simple select and move especially when you have lots of pixels to tweak and move.
I agree. It would be nice if Photoline would allow for a "direct pixel manipulation" mode for its selection tools. Creating retro pixel graphics is no fun in Photoline. Just quickly stretching/moving a row or column of pixels - too many steps involved compared to most other image editors.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Problem fixed in 23.4b10 :D
" Layer tool can move selection with content, double click sets off, Alt reads new and without deleting background"
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302