Combine (intersect) multiple selections into one layer mask

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
Russman34
Mitglied

Combine (intersect) multiple selections into one layer mask

Beitrag von Russman34 »

I’m a long-time user of Photoshop but now moving all my digital imaging work to PhotoLine. I am experimenting with both the Mac and Windows versions and prefer the latter, but there is one sticking point I cannot overcome, and hope to receive some help from some of the more experienced users on this forum.

Photoshop makes it easy to intersect two or more selections (lassos?) in the formation of a layer mask. The PL docs and other postings on this forum show how to do this by shift-clicking one thumbnail and then shift-control clicking another to combine the selected areas. This doesn't work for me. When ever I follow a shift-click with a shift-control-click, the selection from the first thumbnail become un-selected.

Specifically, I want to create one Threshold layer showing light tones (highlights) and another one for dark tones (shadows), intersect and invert them and create a layer mask which will reveal a customized area of midtones.

I have spent hours in my attempt at this without success and I would appreciate any assistance that would point me in the right to creating such a mask. Thank you.

Russman
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Combine (intersect) multiple selections into one layer mask

Beitrag von shijan »

Can't see any problem.
Bild
"Shift" Click Selects based on brightness
"Shift" + "Command" Click do the same for multiple layers

"Command" " Click Selects based on transparent pixels
"Command" + "Shift" Click do the same for multiple layers

Make sure you click on Layer thumbnail but not on Layer name area
Another guess - are you on macOS and use Windows virtual machine? I noticed that key modifiers in PhotoLine don't works as expected on virtual machine that i use to test Windows versions.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

You can also try to use right click menu command instead of key modifier + mouse click.
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

shijan hat geschrieben: Mo 03 Jan 2022 05:22 Can't see any problem.

"Shift" Click Selects based on brightness
"Shift" + "Command" Click do the same for multiple layers
Note: It is important that you first hold down the Shift key and then the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Command key (macOS).
shijan hat geschrieben: Mo 03 Jan 2022 05:22"Command" " Click Selects based on transparent pixels
"Command" + "Shift" Click do the same for multiple layers
And here the other way round: First Ctrl (Windows)/Command (macOS), then Shift.

Martin
Russman34
Mitglied

Beitrag von Russman34 »

shijan hat geschrieben: Mo 03 Jan 2022 05:22 Another guess - are you on macOS and use Windows virtual machine? I noticed that key modifiers in PhotoLine don't works as expected on virtual machine that i use to test Windows versions.
Shijan you are brilliant. None of your suggested key combinations worked, however, your suggestion about key modifiers in VM's prompted me to try using Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard. Now clicking on a second thumbnail using the key combination Shift-Control a second selection is indeed added to the first. There must be a lack of equivalence between the Mac and Parallels version of Windows keyboard layouts that requires this work around. It would be nice to somehow make the key combinations between the two equivalent, but at least I am able to combine multiple selections. Thank you for your ready assistance.
Antworten