Topaz plugin issue

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Topaz plugin issue

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I'm sure I've asked this before but I still have problem and I'm hoping there is now an answer.

I use Topaz Studio plugin. I can open the plugin, (Studio), the first time no issues. The second time I get no response. Topaz Studio doesn't appear.
BUT the above only happens if I have more than one layer in the PLD file. A single layer images works fine. But as soon as I add a layer into a PLD file Studio will only open the once.

So I open file. Say a Jpeg, Open Studio, edit and save back to PL. I can do this numerous times with no issues.
Now I open a Jpeg again. Duplicate the layer. Save as a PLD. Open the non background/new layer in Studio. Edit. Save. Works fine. But if I try to send that layer back to Studio then Studio doesn't respond. I have to do a save. Close PL. Open PL. Open the file. Select the new layer and open Studio. But ever time I want to open Studio a second time I have to close PL and start again.

Any clues on what is going on?

FWIW I also have PaintShop Pro x8 installed on my computer. I can do exactly the same steps in PSPx8 and Studio has no issues opening the second time. So it's something to do with Pl and Studio.

EDIT - If I send the layer to Studio the second time it won't open. If I also send the layer to PSP and then in PSP and try to open Studio it also fails. Yet From within PSP I can open Studio multiple times. So PL is doing, or not doing, something when the layer comes out of Studio for the first time.
Now if I save the layer as a jpeg file I can open it in PSP. But Studio wont open it. However if I close PL the layer opens fine in PSP and Studio works fine! So some how PL is stopping Studio from opening again regardless of which editor is trying to open it!
Am I making sense? In a nut shell PL will open Studio once. However PL is somehow preventing Studio opening a second time.

Bruce
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Topaz plugin issue

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Just to make sure, that we are talking about the same thing: You are using Topaz Studio as a plug-in, and you are not using it as an external program?

We tried it as plug-in on Windows 10 and macOS and there was no problem:
- PhotoLine 21.01 (64 Bit)
- opened a simple JPEG and duplicated the background layer (the duplicate has transparency)
- applied the plug-in (using one of the presets) to the duplicate, undoed and repeated that several times.

So it doesn't seem to be a general problem.
I use Topaz Studio plugin. I can open the plugin, (Studio), the first time no issues. The second time I get no response. Topaz Studio doesn't appear.
But what happens? Usually the plug-in displays a modal dialog, that you have to terminate the plug-in (which is in fact a separate application) in order to continue working. So this dialog doesn't show up either? Can you start Studio from the desktop in this situation?

Martin
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks Martin.

Yes I only use Topaz Studio as a plugin. (Win 8.1, 8 gig ram. i5). Photoline 20.01.
I load a jpeg. Duplicate it. (With transparency). Send the new layer, not the background layer, to Studio. Modify it in Studio. Save it. Which opens it, with modifications, back in PL. Then I try to send the layer back to Studio again. Nothing happens. PL just sits there and Studio doesn't open. (I've just follow these simple steps as I type this).

I can save the file as a PL file. Close PL. Open PL again. Load the file with the two layers. Send the new layer to Studio. Modify it and save it back to PL. Then select the same layer again. Then try to open it again in Studio. Again nothing happens. No popup. Nothing happens.

PL wont open a layer in Studio a second time. (The exact same steps in Paintshop Pro work fine).

The Save button in Studio saves the modified layer back into PL and closes Studio.

I can use Studio as a stand alone program and open and close files with no issues.

The only time I ever have an issue with Studio is when I try to open a layer for a second time from within PL.

NOTE - One very important step is that if you open a jpeg and send it to Studio, modify it, save it, it will appear back in PL. You can do this multiple times. It's ONLY when I create a new layer. Work on that layer. NOT the background layer.

Am I making sense?

bruce
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 24 Feb 2019 12:08Yes I only use Topaz Studio as a plugin. (Win 8.1, 8 gig ram. i5). Photoline 20.01.
Really 20.01? 32 or 64 Bit?
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 24 Feb 2019 12:08I load a jpeg. Duplicate it. (With transparency). Send the new layer, not the background layer, to Studio. Modify it in Studio. Save it. Which opens it, with modifications, back in PL. Then I try to send the layer back to Studio again. Nothing happens. PL just sits there and Studio doesn't open. (I've just follow these simple steps as I type this).
So you are executing the same steps as me.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 24 Feb 2019 12:08I can save the file as a PL file. Close PL. Open PL again. Load the file with the two layers. Send the new layer to Studio. Modify it and save it back to PL. Then select the same layer again. Then try to open it again in Studio. Again nothing happens. No popup. Nothing happens.

PL wont open a layer in Studio a second time. (The exact same steps in Paintshop Pro work fine).

The Save button in Studio saves the modified layer back into PL and closes Studio.

I can use Studio as a stand alone program and open and close files with no issues.

The only time I ever have an issue with Studio is when I try to open a layer for a second time from within PL.

NOTE - One very important step is that if you open a jpeg and send it to Studio, modify it, save it, it will appear back in PL. You can do this multiple times. It's ONLY when I create a new layer. Work on that layer. NOT the background layer.

Am I making sense?
I think I understand what you are doing. I just can't reproduce the problem.

And your constant use of the term "save" makes me unsure. If I am using Topaz Studio as a plug-in, there no Save but an OK button. There is only a Save button, if I am using Topaz Studio as an external program.

Martin
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Sorry. Typo. PL ver 21.01. 64 bit.

1/ Open PL.
2/ Load a Jpeg.
3/ Duplicate layer.
4/ Select new layer.
5/ Filter/Topaz Studio/Topaz Studio.
6/ Select a preset in Studio.
7/ Button righthand corner the OK button. (Sorry for my miss label).
8/ Filter/Topaz Studio/Topaz Studio.

Nothing happens.
I save the file as a PL file and close PL. Then start PL. Open the new PL file. Repeat steps 5/ - 8/.

Again nothing happens when I try step 8/.
I had Topaz as an External program but that made no difference.
Under Manage Plugins Topaz Studio is there.

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

A follow up.

I have a 'Temp Plugin' folder. Every plugin I have is copied to that folder. Including Topaz plugins. In PL I have that path in 'Manage plugins'. I have just now also added the 'Program Files/Topaz Labs' path into Manage plugins'. Topaz Studio is now working fine.

So for some reason there is an issue when I use my 'Temp Plugin' folder. Just as a note, I use the same 'Temp plugin' path in Paintshop Pro and it works fine.

So there is an issue some where. I have found a solution to my problem. But I wont get too excited until I have done more testing!!!

Thanks for your time.

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I think I have figured out what the issue was/is.

Opening a file the second time was an issue that a number of users reported. Including Photoshop users.

I have created a folder for all my various plugins. (PL only allowed a few plugins thus the creation of one folder with all the plugins in it). Including Topaz. Any new or updated plugin gets copied to that folder. I simply point any software, including PL, to that folder. So I initially copied Topaz Studio to that folder. Every time I opened Studio from PL it used the version of Studio with the 'bug'. When I downloaded an update of Studio it was automatically downloaded to the default folder. It seems I simply forgot to copy that new download to my plugin folder. !!! User error!!

I don't really look for new features so I never noticed that my Studio never changed.

Now that I have copied/updated the Studio files in my folder everything, so far, has worked as it should.

Thanks.

bruce