Neue Testversion 23.90b6

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
wmjordan
Mitglied

Re: Neue Testversion 23.90b6

Beitrag von wmjordan »

I've upgraded to the new b6 from b3 and found that the open and save icons look quite alike.
Previously the Open icons were yellow folders and Save icons were blue disks.
Nowadays the Open icons and Save icons are all yellow folders, almost with the same shape.

Just look at the menu.
It is less easy to distinguish them each other, compared with the previous version.
shot.png
Is it possible use a different color for the Save icons?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Some labels on the dialogs were not localized.

"RGB->YUV verwenden" in the WebP image quality options.
"Zeilenvorschub" in "Formatting Marks" option page.

BTW,
there's something wrong with the forum's upload system.
I tried to upload a 51kb file, however it failed with an error message that "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB".
shot.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

wmjordan hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 11:59 It is less easy to distinguish them each other, compared with the previous version.

Is it possible use a different color for the Save icons?
+1
I agree with wmjordan.
It's confusing. Doesn't help
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

According to the Load/Save Icons:
- Since most people don't know what floppy disks are anymore, we decided to replace the Save icon
- The Load icon shows a folder where a sheet of paper is taken out
- So it was consistent to use the other way round for saving. A folder where a sheet of paper is put in.

I don't understand the trouble here, because I never used these icons in the past years. I just press Ctrl-O or Ctrl-S.
But if there is a problem, give us suitable alternatives and we will change it - but we won't make it red!
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

wmjordan hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 12:11BTW,
there's something wrong with the forum's upload system.
I tried to upload a 51kb file, however it failed with an error message that "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB".
The board software is not a part of PhotoLine and I don't know what the problem is.
But it should be possible to create a screenshot with less than 51kb.
JanH
Mitglied

Beitrag von JanH »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 13:39 - Since most people don't know what floppy disks are anymore, we decided to replace the Save icon
By that logic I wonder if a manila folder is that much of an improvement, since you could argue that it's on the way of becoming equally obscure as floppy discs, and in my life it definitively already has – while I do still use other kinds of folders and ring binders, I only very rarely encounter the kind of manila folder that's commonly being used as an icon for computer folders.

And while it might be nicer if people can also recognise the underlying metaphor of an icon, there's also such a thing as consistency with other software – where "floppy icon = save" still seems to see quite widespread use. Plus as mentioned above there's also the distinctiveness aspect – those little arrows or text overlays certainly aren't as distinctive as the previous combination of "different shape and different colour, too".
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 13:39Since most people don't know what floppy disks are anymore, we decided to replace the Save icon
To add some fun: It's not floppy at all, but comes in a hard case :D
Interface metaphor was the word I was looking for. FILE and FOLDER are already such metaphors, though I had a colleague who kept naming them "drawers". And I think people still use the word "sand clock", though a circle is more common today.

And really: Once upon a time that thing was known as "diskette", but today it has become the "save icon".
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
JanH
Mitglied

Beitrag von JanH »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 13:39 I don't understand the trouble here, because I never used these icons in the past years. I just press Ctrl-O or Ctrl-S.
Most of the time sure, but if my "keyboard hand" doesn't happen to actually sit on the keyboard, I occasionally still find myself pressing the save button via the mouse, because at that moment moving the mouse seems more expedient than putting my other hand back on the keyboard. Except now in that case I always have to take a second look to make sure I'm actually pressing the save icon…
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Sa 04 Feb 2023 08:58 Die SIMD-Erweiterung soll wohl eine Beschleunigung sein. Dazu werden diverse Funktionen durch eine Assemblerfunktion ersetzt.
Das möchte ich mir im Moment nicht antun. Um ein Bild dann statt in 0,7 sek in 0,6 sek laden zu können, ist mir das zu viel Aufwand.
Nachvollziehbar. Mal abwarten, wann der erste sein 2G große PLD-Archiv konvertieren will und das gelesen hat. :mrgreen:
Screencasts zu Photoline: http://www.buoa.de • Win 10x64 / PL64, immer und ausschließlich die aktuellste Beta-Version.
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

JanH hat geschrieben: So 05 Feb 2023 00:45 […], da ich auch nicht so häufig mit der Qualitätsvorschau herumspiele, und wenn, reicht auch die heutige Geschwindigkeit. […]
Geschwindigkeit ist m.E. immer ein relevantes Thema. Wenn ich mir die Dateigrößen meiner ersten Digitalkamera ansehe (max dreistellige kb-Größen) und die komprimierten Bilder neuerer Geräte, hat das zwar fraglos was mit Auflösung zu tun. Doch „mehr Pixel = mehr Arbeit“.

Für mich ist PL ein „Arbeitspferd“, das ich immer sattle, wenn ich „schnell mal ein Bild für was brauche“. Aktuell reduziert sich das zu einem großen Teil auf „mach ein kleines, qualitativ hochwertiges WEBP draus“ — das ist schon verblüffend, wie viel Luft PL noch aus einem Bild drücken kann (auch aus WEBP anderer Tools!), ohne dass ein sichtbarer Effekt einsetzt.

Wobei „sichtbar“ für mich in vielen Fällen akzeptabel ist: ich stelle Dateigröße über Qualität bei „Gebrauchsbildern“ und verwende für Webseiten keine Bibliotheken, sondern erzeuge mir die Bilder mit PL. Damit ist das Ergebnis definiert und der Speicherbedarf klein. Für Seitenbesucher ist die Seite dann „brutal schnell“, im „Mäusekino“ Mobiltelefon sind die Artefakte, die ich beim Reinzoomen auf dem 4K-Schirm sehe, unsichtbar (hat was mit Blickwinkel, etc. zu tun…).

Abhängig von der Anzahl Bilder, kann sich die kolportierte 10tel Sekunde schon summieren – wobei jpeg nur noch in seltenen Ausnahmefällen ein „Ergebnisformat“ ist. Z.B. wenn phpBB die Darstellung von webp verweigert…
Screencasts zu Photoline: http://www.buoa.de • Win 10x64 / PL64, immer und ausschließlich die aktuellste Beta-Version.
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

Export-Bug SVG:
  • Neues Bild, Rechteck aufziehen, Füllfarbe weiß (#FFFFFF)
  • Ohne Hintergrund als SVG speichern
Wird das SVG jetzt geöffnet, hat es die Hintergrundfarbe #ebFFFF. Kann auch #d5ffff sein. Oder „was in der Region“. Jedenfalls kein reines weiß mehr. Das passiert sogar, wenn ich die Datei mit einem Texteditor öffne, explizit #ffffff reinschreibe, mit PL öffne und direkt speichere. Aus #ffffff wird ??FFFF.

Aufgefallen ist mir das in komplexeren SVGs, die in anderen Programmen weiterverwendet werden und von mir (anfänglich) fälschlicherweis als „zu doof für weiß“ eingestuft wurden…

NACHTRAG: Farben werden GRUNDSÄTZLICH ungenau ins SVG transferiert.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

NoSi hat geschrieben: Mi 15 Feb 2023 11:38 Export-Bug SVG:
  • Neues Bild, Rechteck aufziehen, Füllfarbe weiß (#FFFFFF)
  • Ohne Hintergrund als SVG speichern
Wird das SVG jetzt geöffnet, hat es die Hintergrundfarbe #ebFFFF. Kann auch #d5ffff sein. Oder „was in der Region“. Jedenfalls kein reines weiß mehr.
Das kann ich nicht nachvollziehen. Ich habe:
- Ich habe "Datei > Neu > Neues Bild aufgerufen".
- Darauf habe ich ein Rechteck mit #FFFFFF angelegt.
- Die Hintergrundebene habe ausgeschaltet und das Ergebnis als SVG gespeichert.

In der SVG-Datei hatte das Rechteck die Füllfarbe #ffffff.

Kannst du uns ein Beispiel-PLD schicken, bei dem das SVG-Problem auftritt?
NoSi hat geschrieben: Mi 15 Feb 2023 11:38Das passiert sogar, wenn ich die Datei mit einem Texteditor öffne, explizit #ffffff reinschreibe, mit PL öffne und direkt speichere. Aus #ffffff wird ??FFFF.
Das passiert bei mir auch nicht.

Martin
NoSi
Betatester

Beitrag von NoSi »

Schick ich – und noch ein weiteres SVG-Problem
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 19:10
Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 13:39Since most people don't know what floppy disks are anymore, we decided to replace the Save icon
To add some fun: It's not floppy at all, but comes in a hard case :D
Interface metaphor was the word I was looking for. FILE and FOLDER are already such metaphors, though I had a colleague who kept naming them "drawers". And I think people still use the word "sand clock", though a circle is more common today.

And really: Once upon a time that thing was known as "diskette", but today it has become the "save icon".
"Drawers": That reminds me of the good old Amiga! Perhaps your colleague used to be an Amiga user?

Bild

Aside from "folders" another currently used alternative is "directory" - in particular in development circles. Hence the CLI command "dir".

The other day I read an article about professors and instructors teaching IT are encountering more and more students who haven't got a clue about folders/directories and organizing files. The concept behind it all eludes them and it seems special classes have to be arranged to explain how file and folder management works.

The cause seems to be a lack of exposure to classic desktop computing. Mobile operating systems (iOS, Android) hide all that stuff, and of course cloud-based storage is all "automatic" nowadays.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Feb 2023 13:39 According to the Load/Save Icons:
- Since most people don't know what floppy disks are anymore, we decided to replace the Save icon
- The Load icon shows a folder where a sheet of paper is taken out
- So it was consistent to use the other way round for saving. A folder where a sheet of paper is put in.

I don't understand the trouble here, because I never used these icons in the past years. I just press Ctrl-O or Ctrl-S.
But if there is a problem, give us suitable alternatives and we will change it - but we won't make it red!
I do use buttons and I seldom use keyboard shortcuts.
Another user @JanH had also expressed what I was experiencing.

BTW, we can still see icons of floppy disk in Microsoft Office, Visual Studio and many other software programs. Yet few applications use folder as save icons--I've seen none before in my memory. Maybe even users born after year 2000 were taught that Disk = Save.